Piccolo's seeds come in fun, original packaging. This makes them not only ideal for giving as gifts, but also nice to have at home. You can choose a collection of seeds or buy your seeds separately for each species. With their wide range, there is something for everyone: herbs, all kinds of interesting mixes to brighten up your kitchen, or flowers, with some collections specifically aimed at insects or birds. Spring will be incredibly colourful! The seeds are okay to be stored for at least 3 years, so you can gift them to your loved ones (or yourself!) at any time of the year.
Erfurter Orangefarbige is a variety of calendula bred specifically for its medicinal virtues. Although the whole plant has long been used as a culinary and medicinal herb, the bright orange flowers alone are recommended for kitchen use today, since the leaves are very bitter. The flowers are mild tasting and slightly sweet, and can be used both in savoury and sweet dishes – the nickname ‘pot marigold’ comes from its popular use in the soup pot. When dried, its petals, which have been called ‘poor man’s saffron’, can be used to create a natural dye or, funnily enough, in chicken feed to make egg yolks extra vibrant!
- Latin name: Calendula officinalis
- Common name: Calendula
- Variety: Erfurter Orangefarbige
- Quantity: 45 seeds
- Plant size: Height 30cm, width 30cm
- Container size: height 25cm, width 25 cm
- Companion plants: All vegetables benefit from the presence of calendula – especially tomatoes, radishes and carrots.
HOW TO GROW
- Sowing: Indoor Feb-Mar, outdoor Apr-June
- Timing: Germination 7-15 days, harvesting 40-60 days
- Spacing: When sowing 3-5cm, depth 1cm. When thinning 3-5cm.
- Growing: Full sun, well-drained light & moist soil. Regular, moderate watering. Light feeder.
- Caring: Expert tip! Calendula is adaptable and does not require a lot of maintenance, making it ideal for container gardens. Just beware, it will also re-seed readily and easily, so keep an eye on it if you don’t want a calendula jungle on your balcony!
- Attracts bees, butterflies and ladybirds. Helpful for deterring many insects.
The Piccolo seeds can be picked up in store, delivered by bike in Brussels or sent to you by bpost in Belgium & Europe. Read all information about shipping & pick-up here.